The Latimer Reef Lighthouse replaced the Eel Grass Shoal lightship. The tower is 49 feet high and is a brick lined cast iron caisson tower. The lighthouse was completed on July 1, 1884, and originally housed a 5th order lens. The light was automated in 1974. In 1983, the lens was removed and reportedly reinstalled in Delaware Bay's Elbow of Cross Ledge lighthouse. It was replaced with a solar powered 300mm optic that flashes white every six seconds.