In 1831, the government bought land from Mary Virginia Morgan Goodman, a descendent of James Morgan, who settled the peninsula. The first tower was built in 1831, 80 feet from the keepers house. In 1867, commerce picked up in the area requiring a new lighthouse to be constructed. This new light was constructed in 1868 with a sixth order lens imported from Germany.
The tower is 52 feet tall and the building is constructed of Rhode Island granite.
A new electric beacon placed in the channel entrace caused the lighthouse to be deactivated in 1922. Now, it is privately owned and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.