The New London Harbor Light sits on the Western Side of the Thames River. The first tower was built in 1760, and at its completion, it was the fourth lighthouse in the colonies. This tower, like Sandy Hook, was built with funds from a lottery. The original tower was 64 feet high and 24 feet in diameter. It did survive the Revolutionary war.
In 1801, a new 80 foot tower was built at a cost of $15,547. This occured because there was a 10 foot crack in the walls of the origianl tower. A 4th order lens was added in 1857 that shows a white and red beacon.