The New London Ledge lighthouse was originally called the South West Ledge Light. This is a square three story brick house that sits on a 200 foot shoal. The timber crib that makes up the concrete base was towed 12 miles upstream, filled with concrete, and sunk in 28 feet of water. Concrete was used to make the base.
The light was established November 10, 1909 due to the inadaqucies of the New London Harbor light. The 58 foot tall tower cost $95,000 to build. The light was manned from 1939 to 1987, when the structure was automated. A 4th order lens shines from the top that is visible about 18 miles. The current lens is a 190mm solar powered optic that flashes white and red and was installed in 1978.
Supposedly the house is hanuted by a ghost named Ernie. The ghost is alledgedly a keeper who commited suicide after learning his wife ran off with the captain of the ferry boat to Block Island.