The Little Gull Island lighthouse is located seven miles east of Orient Point at the intersection of the Block Island Sound an the Long Island Sound. Originally, this was a 50 foot tower with a third order lens. Currently, the tower is 81 feet high, constructed of granite and houses a third order lens. The diameter is 19 feet at the base with five and a half feet thick walls.
The original light was built in 1804 for $15,000. Interestingly, the light was removed by the British during the War of 1812 and replaced after the war. On September 23, 1815, a hurricane swept through the island while the keeper was a shore. His wife and children rode out the storm in the tower. Because of that storm, most of the island was lost. In 1868 the new tower was built. The light was automated in 1978 and the lens was moved to the East End Seaport Maritime Museum. The current light is a flashing white light, which flashes every 15 seconds.